Sunday, January 27, 2008

Hi again, 
I know, it's been a while. A week, to be exact. I got sick, really sick. They call it the British ManFlu, it kills you for a week. I don't know, maybe because it's an island bugs evolve and change and they're different than in the rest of the world. So i was in bed for a week, no work, not a lot of food, just meds (lots and lots of medicines) and sleep. 
I had to go to the doctor, and in a British accent . . . . not so cool. When was the last time you heard a doctor (read: professional) call urine, wee???? Wee?????? C'mon seriously, aren't they supposed to know the medical terms? Weird. 
Oh and the time i was acutally awake, I spent watching Grey's Anatomy. I had never seen it. It's great, funny, a bit repetitive, but the medical stuff keeps you interested. I'm up to season 3. Thanks to my new ipod video (Thanks Mom and Dad, or is it still Santa??? haha) i can watch my favorite shows wherever I go, though not recomended while on the metro (missed my stop several times) or walking (especially not in England, where cars and buses come from the wrong side, almost got killed several times, hahaha). It's been great having it. I can't wait to have it on an airplane, no more boring rides yay!!!
So this weekend i started feeling better, much better. Friday and Saturday were spent doing preparations for the trip next week. Where am i going, you ask. well, i'll tell you. I'm going to Venice. (YAY!!!!!!!!! VENICE!!!!!!!!!!) Next week, actually this Friday, starts a tradition that has been going on since the Renaissance: Venetian Carnival!!!!! 
So Cameron and I are getting everything ready for our costumes. Yes we need to have costumes, the dress code for most events is costume and mask. We bought masks, they match. They are black, gold and cranberry (deep red). Cameron rented a costume, it think the label said Georgian Gentleman, so a bit later than the Renaissance, but it works. I created mine. I'm using clothing that i have already, and i bought fabric: cotton velvet in cranberry, to make the top layer of a skirt, renaissance style. I'm having it made by the seamstress at the costume store. It's gonna look great. I'll definitely show pictures. We leave friday morning, then we are going to a Maskerade Ball (Gala Dinner, Opera performance and dancing) at an old venetian palace. The next day there's all sorts of events, parades, show of costumes, parties, etc. Also there's all the wonders of venice: the bridge of sighs, cannot wait to see the bridge of sighs. My favorite book happens in venice. 
Anyway, that's next weekend. 
This weekend we spent saturday in cambridge. Went to the Ale (British Beer) Festival hosted by the university. It was fun, very crowded, outside my comfort zone, hahaha. Had dinner at a pub, walked around town. Cambridge really is a beautiful town. I love walking around there,  the streets are so pretty and old. It's like a fantasy.  I love it. We went to some of the stores, a bookshop, got some books, it was fun. 
Today, sunday, we went to a nearby town called Huntingdon, where one of the American military bases is, and went for a hike. The area is flat, and it's all farming land. But since it's winter, a lot of the field are very wet, and some even flooded, so they turn into small lakes and ponds, making the landscape very pretty. We set out from the town, walking past a newarby town, then fields, to a small community of huge, expensive mansions, then to other fields, with the small lakes, and back to the town. In total it all was 8 miles and took us about 4 hours and some change. it was great. Got a great work out because we had to keep a fast pace since we started later in the day and darkness was starting to set. The fields turn pitch black once the sun sets, so we did not want to be stuck still out on the hike. One thing though: last week that area was flooded, i mean the town and all. So it was VERY VERY VERY MUDDY!!!! Good thing Cameron and I got all the proper waterproof gear (Thanks again mom and dad, hehe) and were able to treck through the mud. It was a lot of fun, I loved it. Afterwards we stopped at a pub and had a pint and tea (can you guess who had the pint and who had the tea?? haha) I know, i'm a tea junkie, but when in rome . . . . (do as romans do). Finally we came home, had dinner and are watching the latest from American Idol, hahahaha. It takes on a different perspective watching it from Britain, hahaha. 
Tomorrow, it's back to work. Lets see how it goes. Until thursday, when I will come to Cambridge to be ready to leave the next morning for Venice!!!!! 
VENICE!!!!!!!! 
I can't wait, i've never been. 

Well, i hope everything back home is great. Keep me updates on all the shenanigans on that side of the puddle!!!! 

2 comments:

Senora Duran said...

Lore:

Te habia escrito una cartita muy larga y me la borro. Me puso de malas esta cosa.

Solo te queria decir que me parecia sensacional que fueras a Venecia, que tengo ganas de conocer Cambridge y que te va a tocar la primavera en Inglaterra que dicen que es maravillosa.

Mil besos
Mama

Lorena Duran said...

Ay mamita, pobre que se te borro todo. Estoy super emocionada de ir a venecia jejeje. besitos.